Sunday, February 21, 2010

CNY 2010 Family Thanksgiving

This has been a low profile CNY for me ... I have scaled down all the normal activities, cooking and visitations that I do this year. Instead, spent quite a bit of time resting since its far tooooo toooo HOT to step outside of the house. Sitiawan was far tooooo HOT ... but if I were to step out of the house and my fats melt .. I don't mind ... hehehe....

Though I was on a much lower scale of activities, my brains have been busy .. I have spent much time reflecting and appreciating what I have now .. for one, Mom and Dad ... I really thank God for Mom and Dad ... and preserving their health. Mom is 83 and Dad is 84 this year and both of them are still mobile and active. Dad still cycles around and many times still shirtless cos its too hot and in his shorts (but his boxers are longer than his shorts ... hehehhe ... ). We have been asking him to cut down in distance and trips. He still goes to work in the plantation few times a week but we discourage him because he needs to cycle all the way to Kampong Cina and cross the main road. Mom -- she misses her care free days riding her motorbike. She was "forced' to stop at 77years old. She "surrendered" her motorbike keys to us but .... quietly curi2 ride the bike sometimes with the spare key ... hehehhe .... But her mind is still very much on business .. wanting to close deals. She may forget things and seems to be sleepy, inactive but once her handphone rings, she's all energized and suddenly becomes very active again ... off course, Mom is still very busy in the phone, calling whole Malaysia.... and sometimes to Singapore .... :0

Looking at our parents, I think that it is not easy for them as they go through this reverse process where instead of providing, caring, running, managing and making decisions for the family, and their own lives. Now, they have to depend on people, their children to provide for them (but I have say that I am also thankful for our parents financial situation).

I have also spent some time observing people --- so many people to observe .. look like this is becoming my hobby now.... interesting ... interesting ... unveil my observation some other time ...

Lastly, I have also take a good look at our family dynamics and pondered on what is family .. what makes a family besides individuals placed together by birth and marriage?

Besides people placed together under one unit of family and living together, I think that family is about loving, caring, forgiving, forbearing, patience, understanding, respecting, not letting go and giving up of one another. It is also about making time to spend with one another -- sharing and carrying with one another the joys and burdens in life .... the tears and pains of life .... It is just not taking or receiving but lots and lots of giving ....

Blessed and healthy family is when each of us plays an active part in giving and receiving .. contributing to the dynamics of the family .... It is also giving space to one another as individuals. To make a family blessed and healthy ... it takes lots of sacrifice, lots of hard work and only by God's love and grace that families stay together -- especially in this broken and dysfunctional world. Lord, have mercy on all of us ....

I thank God for my family ... I have been blessed with very wonderful understanding and sacrificial siblings who had stood by me through thick and thin, ups and downs of my life, and given me their support - emotionally and physically .... more importantly, their prayer support .... and I know of one .. who even fast for me .... hehehe .... to all of you ... I thank God for you ....

What is family to you? Have you played the role of being a family member? If you have not, start now ... its never too late. Blessed happy starts with you yourself -- how are you contributing to the family? What is your attitude towards your family? Remember to appreciate your family .... each of us have our roles and part to play .... it takes two willing parties on the same page to make a relationship work .... mixed with God's love, mercy and grace.

Man cannot live alone or in isolation from family and community .... we are created to live with one another and to need one another ... not just one person but a family and community .... this is why the old saying comes : it takes a village to raise a child.


Many times, our pets is also very much part of the family .... look at this one ... tengah bermalas

No comments: