Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Decisions ... Decisions ...


Life is full of decisions that we need to make and this is what we did on our English Bible study ... decision making ... to surrender and follow Jesus is a decision that we need to make - from that day onwards, its an ongoing decision in life. Then again, if one decides not to follow Jesus ... it's still a decision and life long journey of decision that one decides -- how to life and how one desires to live.

My question then to my youth on that day? How do you make decisions? What is your process of decision making and what will influence you decision making process?

Making decisions is always a challenging process but I do believe that we need to try to learn to make wise god honoring decisions as early as possible because I have seen too many adults (or some "aged" adults) who can't seem to be able to make decisions (which is so sad... ) and many more who seem to go back and forth the two ends of every decision they make (the ding-dong process is tiring and wearies people around you) ... Every decision made and unmade will impact the lives of those who live around us ... especially those whom we love or are close with ... in one way or another ... hey .. we do not live in a vacuum system but God place us in a family and community! I strongly believe that we also need to take the responsibility

So, what's my decision making process? Mine ... simple ....

a) Look and lay out all options and count each cost of every option - cost to myself and people around me

b) Pray and discern what God as to say to me .... on each option -- ie .. wrestle with the Lord every option .... the option of His desires verses my desires .... and ultimately to be able to lay it all down at the foot of the Cross and to listen only to His clear still voice .... this is the hardest of the entire step ... cos it requires letting go.... letting go of self and say : "May Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven ... Your Kingdom come .. Your will be done in my life" --- not my will ... my desires ... my ambitions .... my happiness ... my comfort .... it is tough to let of our logical "smart" reasoning and be still before Him ... and to allow God to charge ... cos His thoughts are our thoughts, neither His ways ours .. it is hard humbly recognize our inabilities and that we are not that "clever" after all ... this is the part where we say : "Jesus, You are the Lord and Master over my life .. come what may ... let Your Kingdom come into my life .. thought physically I may not desire it or look good but I trust that in Your love for me, You will want the best for me "

c) To seek the prayers, advise, affirmation and discernment of one or two godly and mature Christian. I don't believe in going out to the entire whole the hear their voices on the matter cos as it is .... there are already too many voices inside and outside ... but I strongly would recommend that we seek out one more mature, godly to put in a word of two of words of wisdom.... yes .... very important key .... godly and more mature ... if not mature ... you will go round and round cos what seen is of the same level or lower ....

d) Lastly, to know Him and what His says in this issue -- to know Him .. we need to spent time with Him .... in our daily lives ... to read the love letters He left for us (the Bible) and to learn to hear and discern His voice daily ....

I know to make a right decision is more important than making a quick decision. Be bold in your decision, a decision needs to be made at the end of the day, .... once the decision is made ... step out of the boat ... look ahead, fixing our eyes of Jesus who will hold our hands with His righteous right hands all the way .... faith will carry us through .. for He will not let go of our hands ....

Am encouraged to hear from 15year old youth that what helps her to make decisions (especially major decisions) .. is to hear out her Mom's opinions and ideas first. Then with the ideas from her Mom she will think through and modify it according to her circumstance. In our world where parents and kids are so disconnected, where the generation gap is so wide ... its refreshing to hear this ... and I know that this girl really wrestles through the peer pressures ... issues of life that any normal youth will struggle with .... and still decides to honor and obey her parents and love God in her decisions.

Learn to be decisive ... learn to make godly wise decisions .. and to let go ... trusting that God will take care of the rest ... even if the decision turns out to be wrong or bad -- remember Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, whoa]"> have been called according to His purpose."... so, please be bold .. make your decision and don't stay at reverse gear ... place your foot on the "drive" paddle to move forward in your decision!

No comments: